Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Subversive Kitchen? Or Convenient?

Years ago, I thought I would take aim at rampant consumerism in my home by investing some thought, time, and effort into running an efficient kitchen.  I would learn how to cook well and stop eating crap out just because it was easy.  I would make menus and lists and waste less food.  I would host dinner parties as opposed to eat out.  It`s been working.  Really working.  Fun, even,except for the dishes.  But even that`s not so bad.

Now, as some of you know, we have been struggling financially the last couple of years; so, funnily enough, these initiatives that started out as quiet ways to reduce the grip of consumerism on our household actually saved our bacon, if you`ll pardon the pun, (along with the generosity of a very close friend without whom we most certainly would be lost).  But it was satisfying to see that we could struggle along, maintain our core values and objectives, and make it through despite trying circumstances.

So, I am looking forward to the next year as things turn around financially.  I am pretty sure that we will maintain our modest ways and see the real impact of what we set out to do.  And, with that extra money, we can do other things like insulate the house better, install solar panels, or a quiet wind turbine, or both.  Seems ironic that we need money to save money.  But it was ever thus.

Unless, of course, we cave.  I am not sure if we can take credit for what we've done because it was maintained out of neccesity and the austerity has been trying.  I am immature enough to have wanted better rewards along the way.  I don't half like my gold stars.  And it's super difficult to walk through the world and constantly say 'no' to yourself, trebly so your daughter, when everything is advertised everywhere and everything looks so good.  Impulse control is a lot easier when you simply don't have the money. So, I am interested to see if, as things ease, we can keep our heads clear and listen to our hearts as opposed to the gonads as it were

As I write this I am contemplating the menu for the next couple of days, even though my husband and daughter and I could afford a night out.  I think I'll quash that impulse and, in my Subversive Kitchen, feed the soul not the Beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment