Monday, March 19, 2012

Fighting over what's left.

I tend not to publicly proclaim my voting choice prior to election.  Most folks who read this blog would be able to guess that I'll be somewhat left of centre.  However, despite the fact that I voted Liberal for most of my adult life, I'm not voting Liberal today.

The Liberals came into town about ten days ago with their stars and their hotshots campaigning in the streets and going door to door.  Even Liberal royalty graced us.  Well, why, for goodness sake?  Under the late Jack Layton, Toronto-Danforth has flourished.  And the general opinion of the populace seems to reflect awareness of this.  The Liberals have about 19% of the vote, currently.  Craig Scott, taking over for the late Jack Layton is expected to win with about 61% of the vote.

I think the Liberals should know how to choose their battles.  At a time when the conservative stronghold on the country seems insurmountable and the very defiition of what it means to be Canadian is changing as a result, the Liberals need to show some of that old savvy that made them a political powerhouse in the past.  I would have definitely have fronted a candidate in this race but no one needed the push.

Push instead in ridings in which the outcome is uncertain or in which you're not fighting a good man who passed away.  Fight in ridings in which Mr. Harper might perceive a stronghold for the Conservatives.  Push instead where the current government might notice a change.  In taking a stand in Toronto-Danforth, we must seem, to Mr. Harper, like so many children fighting over what's left.  Pun intended.

I urge you, instead, to indentify those ridings in which you have a real chance to sway voters, ridings that will hurt the Conservatives if they lose them.  Instead of urging me to vote strategically, do your own strategizing first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment