Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Scorpion is always a scorpion.

The Fords appear to be backing down from their extreme stances on political issues in Toronto.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/marcus-gee/ford-forfeits-goal-to-control-port-lands-property/article2173838/

Despite being happy about this, I was uneasy.  And I couldn't think why.  What would bother me about Rob and Doug Ford acting like adults?

Then I was reminded of that old story about how a scorpion convinced another animal (I think it was a dog) to ferry him across a swift flowing river when both needed to get to the other side.  The dog demurred, afraid that the scorpion would harm him but the scorpion managed to earn the animal's trust and off they went.  Part the way across, the scorpion stung his ride.  The dog was surprised and amazed.

"Why would you sting me, when I am your only safe method for getting across the river? You have killed me and in so doing, will even kill yourself!"

The scorpion shrugged (if a scorpion can shrug) and said, "I cannot help it.  I am what I am."

Well, the Ford brothers have effected a massive change of heart over the last few days, to the point that they deny their previous stances on closing libraries or suggest they were just publicly brainstorming when they said they wanted to commandeer waterfront development.  Now, they are conciliatory.  Doug Ford even wants to sit on the Board of Waterfront Toronto.  In  the spirit of compromise, he says.  In the spirit of working together.   Don't worry, I would never sting you!  We both have to get across!

I wonder if we shouldn't remain doubly vigilant now that we are swimming with scorpions. Their backroom deals and bully boy politics may continue.  Why would they change?  Can anyone really change?

So, I am still planning to go to City Hall on September 26th, at 5:30 pm to join the rally against cuts.  We can let the Fords know we are still watching and that that they cannot push us around. Or sting us for that matter.  Because, you know they will try.




No comments:

Post a Comment